What if... it is better to be safe than sorry

The first thing you need to know is that the European Health Insurance Card exists for European citizens, and it covers all medical expenses you may have in any of the European countries. Students with a European Health Insurance Card, will be entitled to receive health care through the Spanish Social Welfare. To make an appointment at your nearest health center, don’t forget to bring your ID and your European Health Insurance Card.

You will find here the nearest health center to your house.


In case of a serious situation, you will have to go to an emergency center or call the ambulance (112).

You will find here the nearest emergency center to your house (for the municipality, put Madrid and then your zip code).


In case you are not from an European country, you will need to have a private insurance that will cover your health care in Spain. To go to the doctor, you will have to call your insurance which will give you the name of the nearest health center. You can also call the embassy that will facilitate you the necessary contacts according to the established conventions.